MCDecaux wins a 20 years exclusive Street Furniture digital advertising contract in Nagoya (Japan)
Paris, October 3rd, 2019 – JCDecaux SA (Euronext Paris: DEC), the number one outdoor advertising company worldwide, announced today that its Japanese subsidiary MCDecaux (JCDecaux: 85%; Mitsubishi Corporation: 15%) has signed a contract following a public tender to become the exclusive operator of Smart Digital City Information Panels (CIPs) with advertising in the center of Nagoya City (the fourth-largest metropolitan area after Tokyo, Yokohama and Osaka, with 2.3 million inhabitants).
Under this 20-year contract agreement, MCDecaux will design, install and maintain at least 150 CIPs and have the exclusive right to advertise on 1 fixed, scrolling or 85’’ (or similar) digital face per CIP.
The aim of the CIPs is to enhance the cultural and touristic appeal of the city of Nagoya. They will provide a full range of innovative services including maps and tourist information, free Wi-Fi hotspots, digital multi-service touch screens (tourist information, local route calculator etc.), USB charging stations, street name plates and Emergency Message Alerts (EMA) in case of emergencies (tsunamis, earthquakes, etc.).
Besides the Rugby World Cup currently being held, Japan prepares to host several major international events, such as the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2020 and the World Expo in 2025. In this context, the CIPs will contribute to cities becoming ever more open, accessible and intelligent.
This new contract will enable MCDecaux to install a premium 85’’ (or similar) digital advertising network in Nagoya, enhance the density and strength of its existing B-Stop® advertising network (which still runs for at least 15 years) and consolidate further its exclusive presence on public land.
Following the recent win of CIP contracts and the introduction of 85’’ digital advertising in Yokohama and Kawasaki, MCDecaux keeps strengthening its position as the number one advertising street furniture company in Japan, the world’s third largest advertising market, offering advertisers an unrivalled and now digital presence, with more than 8,000 2m² advertising faces deployed across 41 Japanese cities (including the country's 20 largest), 150 shopping centers and 2 airports.
In line with the Group’s sustainable development strategy, MCDecaux proposed an offer based on strong environmental values, optimising the energy performance of its furniture while ensuring responsible operations throughout the contract. For example, MCDecaux uses the latest energy savings technologies, covering up to 65% of its electricity consumption with green electricity in 2018, 75% in 2019, and recycling all posters.
Jean-Charles Decaux, Co-CEO of JCDecaux, said: “We have always been very proud to be the exclusive operator of all of the B-Stops® in the city of Nagoya and we are now even prouder to have been chosen by the City as its exclusive partner for the digital CIPs, especially just after the recent wins of Yokohama and Kawasaki CIPs. Financed by advertising with no costs for the cities and their inhabitants according to our business model, all parties stand to gain from high-quality and very innovative services such as free Wi-Fi hotspots, digital multi-service touch screens and EMA. Meanwhile, advertisers will be able to make an even greater impact and gain from a stronger national advertising network. Our future digital premium sites and our broader coverage will suit brand communication strategies and cities’ expectations perfectly.”
Key Figures for JCDecaux
- 2018 revenue: €3,619m, H1 2019 revenue: €1,842.3m
- JCDecaux is listed on the Eurolist of Euronext Paris and is part of the Euronext 100 and Euronext Family Business indexes
- JCDecaux is part of the FTSE4Good index and the MSCI and CDP rankings
- N°1 worldwide in street furniture (528,660 advertising panels)
- N°1 worldwide in transport advertising with more than 170 airports and 277 contracts in metros, buses, trains and tramways (326,970 advertising panels)
- N°1 in Europe for billboards (137,020 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Europe (645,540 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Asia-Pacific (239,300 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Latin America (72,880 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in Africa (24,170 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in the Middle East (16,450 advertising panels)
- Leader in self-service bike rental scheme: pioneer in eco-friendly mobility
- 1,061,200 advertising panels in more than 80 countries
- Present in 4,030 cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants
- 13,030 employees
For more information about JCDecaux, please visit jcdecaux.com.
Join us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Communications Department: Agathe Albertini
+33 (0) 1 30 79 34 99 – email@example.com
Investor Relations: Arnaud Courtial
+33 (0) 1 30 79 79 93 – firstname.lastname@example.org