Sumitomo Corporation is a diversified group organized around 6 areas of activity:
- telecommunications and multimedia products and services supplies (25.9% of net sales): TV wiring, data communication solutions, film distribution services, mobile telephony, Internet access and computing services. The group is also providing pharmaceutical products, food products, building materials, domestic AND decorative articles, clothes and accessories, etc.;
- trading of hydrocarbon, mining, chemicals and electronics products (15.7%): oil, natural gas, copper, gold, silver, zinc, lead, nickel, coal, iron ore, resins, pesticides, petrochemical products, etc.;
- trading of steel products and non ferrous metals (9.8%): flat and long steel products, tubular products, aluminum products, titanium, etc.;
- distribution of transportation and construction systems and equipments (8.6%): spatial equipments, landing fields, forest machines, motorcycles, mining operating vehicles, etc.;
- development and implementation of civil engineering infrastructures (6.6%): power plants, wastewater treatment units, industrial plants, telecommunications centers, etc. The group is also providing logistics services;
- other (33.4%).
Net sales break down geographically as follows: Japan (42%), Asia (14.7%), the United States (21.3%), Americas (3.9%), Europe (13.9%) and other (4.2%).