The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX fell 42.11 points, or 0.26 percent, to 16,401.75.
* Leading the index were CAE Inc, up 14.6 percent, Alacer Gold Corp, up 4.4 percent, and Semafo Inc, higher by 3.4 percent.
* Lagging shares were New Gold Inc, down 6.5 percent, Interfor Corp, down 4.0 percent, and Lundin Mining Corp, lower by 4.0 percent.
* On the TSX 89 issues rose and 149 fell as a 0.6-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 23 new highs and 6 new lows, with total volume of 182.1 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc, Bombardier Inc and Manulife Financial Corp.
* The TSX's energy group fell 2.51 points, or 1.6 percent, while the financials sector slipped 1.06 points, or 0.3 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 0.25 percent, or $0.16, to $62.71 a barrel. Brent crude fell 0.73 percent, or $0.53, to $72.09 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 14.5 percent for the year.