* The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX rose 46.42 points, or 0.29 percent, to 16,212.66.
* Leading the index were Cronos Group Inc, up 11.6 percent, Bombardier Inc, up 9.7 percent, and Shopify Inc, higher by 6.6 percent.
* Lagging shares were Peyto Exploration & Development Corp, down 7.5 percent, Crescent Point Energy Corp, down 7.2 percent, and Precision Drilling Corp, lower by 7.0 percent.
* On the TSX 126 issues rose and 110 fell as a 1.1-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 15 new highs and 9 new lows, with total volume of 230.2 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc, Encana Corp and Aurora Cannabis Inc.
* The TSX's energy group fell 3.64 points, or 2.6 percent, while the financials sector climbed 0.80 points, or 0.3 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 3.25 percent, or $1.74, to $51.74 a barrel. Brent crude fell 2.13 percent, or $1.32, to $60.65
* The TSX is up 13.2 percent for the year.