* Leading the index were Canopy Growth Corp, up 13.3 percent, New Gold Inc, up 12.6 percent, and Precision Drilling Corp , higher by 11.3 percent.
* Lagging shares were Pretium Resources Inc, down 11.1 percent, Eldorado Gold Corp, down 2.5 percent, and Onex Corp, lower by 2.2 percent.
* On the TSX 212 issues rose and 25 fell as a 8.5-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 3 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 265.5 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Aurora Cannabis Inc, Encana Corp and Bombardier Inc.
* The TSX's energy group <.SPTTEN> rose 2.89 points, or 2.00 percent, while the financials sector <.SPTTFS> climbed 4.07 points, or 1.49 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 5.04 percent, or $2.51, to $52.29 a barrel. Brent crude rose 4.53 percent, or $2.66, to $61.38 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 3.4 percent for the year.
(Reporting By Sinéad Carew)