* Leading the index were Lightspeed POS Inc <LSPD.TO?>, up 23.1%, MEG Energy Corp? , up 19.9%, and Alacer Gold Corp? , higher by 14.2%.
* Lagging shares were Chorus Aviation Inc?? , down 10.2%, Pason Systems Inc?, down 6.5%, and Frontera Energy Corp?, lower by 4.7%.
* On the TSX 217 issues rose and 14 fell as a 15.5-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 3 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 386.8 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc , Cenovus Energy Inc and Toronto-dominion Bank.
* The TSX's energy group rose 1.82 points, or 2.9%, while the financials sector climbed 11.97 points, or 5.2%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 7.2%, or $2.04, to $26.3 a barrel. Brent crude fell 2.37%, or $0.81, to $33.3
* The TSX is off 20.3% for the year.