* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 0.52 percent to 20,689.58
* Leading the index were Canada Goose Holdings Inc , up 5.4%, Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd, up 5.1%, and Nexgen Energy Ltd, higher by 4.9%.
* Lagging shares were Torex Gold Resources Inc, down 3.5%, Iamgold Corp, down 3.0%, and Aurora Cannabis Inc, lower by 2.9%.
* On the TSX 140 issues rose and 86 fell as a 1.6-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 18 new highs and 1 new low, with total volume of 187.5 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Suncor Energy Inc, Great-west Lifeco Inc and Hydro One Ltd.
* The TSX's energy group rose 0.23 points, or 0.2%, while the financials sector climbed 1.32 points, or 0.4%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 0.41%, or $0.28, to $68.22 a barrel. Brent crude fell 0.45%, or $0.32, to $71.31 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 18.7% for the year.
This summary was machine generated September 1 at 21:03.