29 September 2013
E3 Hackathon Yields Promising Ideas for Energy Efficiency
The 3-day E3 (Energy Efficiency for Everyone) Hackathon, organised by UP Singapore and co-sponsored by the Energy Market Authority (EMA) and Singapore Power, was successfully conducted from 27-29 September.
2. More than 80 participants formed 18 teams and pitched their ideas and prototype applications, which focused on ways to encourage energy efficiency and conservation among household consumers. Participants included data scientists, researchers, academia, software developers and entrepreneurs.
3. The winner of the Hackathon was team Wish Lit. They responded to the challenge by creating a mobile phone application that allows users to determine how much energy to save in order to purchase an item they desire. The top three teams were:
Team: Wish Lit
A mobile phone application that allows users to determine how much energy to save in order to purchase an item they desire.
A DIY kit that can be rented which allows users to review their household appliances' energy consumption.
Team: Energy Saving Champions
A web-based community platform that allows school-going children to compare and compete on how energy efficient they are at home and in class.
4. Speaking at the Hackathon's prize presentation, Mr Chee Hong Tat, Chief Executive of EMA said, "The Hackathon provided an excellent opportunity for EMA and SP to work with external stakeholders to co-create energy efficiency solutions. I am very appreciative of the enthusiastic participation and strong community support for this event. EMA will continue to provide such platforms to work together with like-minded partners to address our energy challenges."
5. Mr Chee shared that EMA will be releasing more energy datasets on its website and the annual Singapore Energy Statistics publication. The data will also be available in machine-readable format on data.gov.sg. This will provide more information to consumers and businesses, which can help to raise awareness of energy issues, as well as support decision-making and application development.
6. In addition to the three E3 Hackathon winners; three other teams also won the EMA-Singapore Power Data Innovation Challenge and IDA's Best Government Data Mash-Up prizes. They are:
EMA-Singapore Power Data Innovation Challenge
Teams: Feedback & Power Heroes
IDA Best Government Data Mash-Up
Team: Lucky 5