Having worked in the British, French and Swiss financial press, Romain is able to report on local and international issues, as comfortable in French as in the language of Shakespeare, Romain Fournier leads the editorial team at Marketscreener. Fine connoisseur of the English-speaking markets, Romain delivers an editorial every day on US and UK markets.
Global markets live: Bayer, Merck, eBay, MetLife, Eli Lilly...
Everyday, the MarketScreener team selects the most important news about listed companies around the world. Here is a short recap for your convenience (The list is updated during the session):
- Adecco: Organic growth slowed to 4% in Q2. Ebit is down.
- Adidas: The German group confirms preliminary figures published at the end of July, which had led to a lowering of forecasts.
- Bayer: Net profit reached €3.35 billion against a consensus of €3.21 billion.
- Deutsche Lufthansa: The airline expects Q3 results to be significantly better than Q2 despite disruptions in the German skies.
- ING Groep: Profit is down in the first half due to depreciation and hyperinflationary conditions in Turkey.
- Merck KGaA: Strong dollar boosted quarterly profit. Targets were confirmed, with a more positive currency effect than expected.
- Swisscom: Half-year net profit reduced by €72m Comco fine.
- Telecom Italia: Operating profit will contract less than expected.
- Toyota: Q1 fiscal results are below expectations. But the automaker partially raised its targets for the fiscal year ending March 31.
- Zalando: Results are down sharply after Q2, second half is expected to be better.
- eBay reported second-quarter revenue above analysts' expectations on Wednesday, as a focus on luxury goods sales cushioned the impact of slowing spending and weakness in some European markets.
- Cigna Corp on Thursday raised its annual profit forecast for a second straight quarter, as a slower-than-expected recovery in elective medical procedures helped it control costs while demand for its healthcare services products remains strong.
- MetLife - The insurer reported a 22% decline in quarterly profit Wednesday as lower investment returns offset gains from higher premiums.
- Eli Lilly - The pharmaceutical company lowered its annual profit forecast and reporting net income down nearly a third in the second quarter.
- Paramount Global reported better-than-expected quarterly revenue on Thursday thanks to the success of the movie "Top Gun: Maverick," though growth in its streaming business slowed.
- Lucid Group - The electric vehicle maker cut its 2022 production targets in half.
- Albermarle - The leading producer of lithium for electric vehicle batteries raised its annual forecast Wednesday and reported a better-than-expected quarterly profit.
- Thomson Reuters, the parent company of Reuters, reported higher second-quarter operating profit on Thursday and raised its full-year revenue forecast.
- Marathon Oil reported adjusted net income of $934 million on Wednesday, beating analysts' expectations, according to Refintiv IBES data.
- ConocoPhillips - The oil producer raised its forecast for shareholder returns by $5 billion on Thursday after posting better-than-expected quarterly earnings.
- Booking Holdings reported higher quarterly revenue Wednesday, helped by increased bookings amid strong summer travel demand.
In other news:
- Walmart is preparing to lay off hundreds of employees in its support functions, according to the Wall Street Journal.
- Muddy Waters is taking on Sunrun.
- Amazon - Hundreds of employees at a warehouse of the online retail giant in Tilbury, in southeast England, walked out to demand a bigger pay raise, the GMB union said Thursday.
- ABB is reviving plans to divest a power conversion unit.
- Musk's appeal against Twitter will be made public by Friday.
Today's top earnings reports Eli Lilly, Novo Nordisk, Alibaba, Toyota Motor, Amgen, ConocoPhillips, Cigna, Merck KGaA, Bayer, ING, Adidas, Swisscom, Crédit Agricole, Beiersdorf... All the agenda here.
© MarketScreener.com 2022