* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX falls 0.54 percent to 16,517.85
* Leading the index were Ballard Power Systems Inc , up 7.7%, Jamieson Wellness Inc , up 5.1%, and Corus Entertainment Inc , higher by 3.1%.
* Lagging shares were Whitecap Resources Inc , down 6.7%, Crescent Point Energy Corp , down 6.7%, and Vermilion Energy Inc , lower by 5.5%.
* On the TSX 72 issues rose and 145 fell as a 0.5-to-1 ratio favored decliners. There were 8 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 170.3 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Suncor Energy Inc , Cenovus Energy Inc and Manulife Financial Corp.
* The TSX's energy group fell 2.40 points, or 2.9%, while the financials sector was unchanged, or 0.0%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 1.33%, or $0.57, to $42.25 a barrel. Brent crude fell 1.31%, or $0.59, to $44.31 [O/R]
* The TSX is off 3.2% for the year.