* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 0.96 percent to 16,065.35
* Leading the index were Cascades Inc , up 8.2%, Brookfield Renewable Partners LP , up 6.8%, and Shopify Inc , higher by 6.1%.
* Lagging shares were First Majestic Silver Corp , down 6.9%, Vermilion Energy Inc, down 6.7%, and Seven Generations Energy Ltd, lower by 5.1%.
* On the TSX 149 issues rose and 73 fell as a 2-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 2 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 177.9 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bank Of Nova Scotia , Suncor Energy Inc and Canadian Natural Resources Ltd.
* The TSX's energy group fell 1.65 points, or 2.4%, while the financials sector climbed 1.49 points, or 0.6%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 0.67%, or $0.27, to $40.04 a barrel. Brent crude fell 0.33%, or $0.14, to $41.8
* The TSX is off 5.8% for the year.