* The Toronto Stock Exchange's TSX rises 0.30 percent to 16,448.84
* Leading the index were Nuvista Energy Ltd , up 8.6 percent, Brookfield Business Partners LP, up 7.8 percent, and Eldorado Gold Corp , higher by 6.8 percent.
* Lagging shares were Nexgen Energy Ltd , down 4.8 percent, Sierra Wireless Inc, down 3.5 percent, and Restaurant Brands International Inc, lower by 3.0 percent.
* On the TSX 161 issues rose and 75 fell as a 2.1-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 27 new highs and 3 new lows, with total volume of 201.1 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Suncor Energy Inc , Cenovus Energy Inc and Crescent Point Energy Corp.
* The TSX's energy group rose 0.94 points, or 0.8 percent, while the financials sector climbed 0.68 points, or 0.2 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 4.45 percent, or $2.4, to $56.34 a barrel. Brent crude rose 4.33 percent, or $2.52, to $60.78.
* The TSX is up 14.8 percent for the year.