In 1988, Microsoft changed the landscape for database implementations through the introduction of the first release of Microsoft SQL Server. This product enabled businesses of all sizes to have access to robust database features fully integrated into a Microsoft ecosystem.
MS SQL Server has evolved through the years, with the current SQL Server 2019 as the 15th official major version of the product. The modern Microsoft SQL Server rivals, and in many cases exceeds, the capabilities of even the most advanced versions of Oracle, DB2, and other mainstream enterprise class relational database engines. However, many Cloud Service Providers (CSPs) and their customers have been slow to keep up with the latest versions of Microsoft SQL Server - with over 50 percent still running SQL Server 2008 and below (a 12-year-old product!).
For CSPs working with Dell Technologies, there is a massive $3.6B opportunity to help customers with their digital transformation by migrating to the latest version and leveraging some of the next generation capabilities such as AI/ML, Kubernetes, and analytics. When combined with the latest Dell Technologies platforms, such as VxRail, PowerStore, PowerFlex or PowerOne, the benefits of scalability, performance, reduced TCO, and reliability of SQL Server implementations become even easier when implemented through a CSP.
Dell Technologies has a robust relationship with CSPs and continues to work with Microsoft and our partners to design and build solutions specifically to drive enterprise business and support the workloads which the market demands. Dell Technologies provides the optimal platform to host SQL Server 2019, and we are committed to supporting our CSP partners by providing the validated designs necessary to accelerate the adoption and implementation of the latest version of SQL Server.
Through our Database-as-a-Service Validated Design, we provide the blueprint and enablement artifacts to drive rapid implementation of a new Database-as-a-Service offering by a CSP, or an upgrade to the current version. Through this upgrade path, a CSP can address significant market drivers including:
* Security: SQL 2019 is much more secure than 2008 and Microsoft no longer sends out security updates leaving customers and the CSP environment vulnerable to malware unless they pay for extended support
* Compliance: Failure to keep SQL Server up to date can be a violation of regulatory compliance which can result in fines, penalties and leave the CSP and customer open to litigation in the event of an incident
* Aging Platform: Many customers are running SQL on older hardware platforms that can't full exploit the power of SQL Server 2019
* Microsoft Support: Extended Security Updates support plan is very expensive (75%), making a move to SQL 2019 financially attractive
* Embrace Hybrid/Private Cloud: For many customers, this architecture is preferred to control costs and improve agility
* Lower costs through consolidation: On average, customers will see a 3:1 reduction
Globally, demand for CSP hosted SQL Server through Database-as-a-Service will continue to grow - and CSPs which implement these updated capabilities will benefit from this market opportunity.
Dell Technologies Service Provider and Telco Transformation Team is here to help co-develop and implement a Database-as-a-Service offering with our CSP partners based on this Validated Design and customized for the specific needs of each CSP. This solution includes the essential information and documentation to accelerate Go-To-Market across all customer segments include partner and customer ready materials, battlecards, technical overviews and training.
Contact Dell Technologies today for more information ([email protected])
Visit Database as a Service Microsoft SQL Server Solution Knowledge Center